Saturday, December 02, 2006

P.S.: Give Chauncy my love.

Quick drop, just a few things I've done recently. The portrait is of my friend Brea, from a new sketchbook I've recently begun filling-- it's kind of a Life Drawing book more than anything. I'll throw some stuff from it down in the not too distant future. The damned book seems to be taking precedence over my actual projects! Yeargh.
The fish is a spot illustration of sorts for... well, nothing in particular. It could be applied to growth within markets or shrinking environments etc etcetera.
As a side note, I've had a few discussions recently with Rosemary and friends as to when a dot becomes a circle. I mean, a bingo dauber is pretty fat, like the size of a nickel, but the mark it makes is still considered a dot. If you had a bingo dauber a mile wide and pressed it against a surface (the moon?), would it still be a dot? Dots are defined as small... but how small is small? What constitutes a dot?

4 comments:

rosetravale said...

and if a shark should try and bite you, I'd say I'm chocolate I'll invite you!

Eshwin said...

Love the fish.

The portrait of Brea has some very interesting linework ... but while calculated, the linework compromises a degree of verism. This may be because each line is so calculated, and deliberated, that it draws more attention to itself than what it may be attempting to describe, or get confused as being something it isn't (ie. a wrinkle, crease). What ends up happening is that you get a portrait that doesn't resemble the subject enough.

Maybe the same linework could be adapted or refined? Or held back? Who knows.

However, verism may not have been your intention ... and if not, than it stands that you've created a very aesthetically interesting image regardless.

Christian Rosekat said...

Wouldn't it be nice, Rose?
Esh, I had to look up what the hell verism meant. The blogger spell-check doesn't even recognise it. I appreciate the verisimilitudinaity of your assertion. You think I've applied the quality of my line work above the importance of depicting an accurate representation of the individual? That I've represented the artist before the subject? This is about the shadows over her eyes and forehead isn't it. Dude her hair was swooping! So be it. I guess I'd rather have an aesthetically pleasing portrait than an accurate one. Thanks for the feedback.

Jenna said...

I agree Christian...I like the portrait...it's fun to look at.